Friday, May 2, 2014

DMV: Round One

With a clear written out goal in mind I began the processes required of me to legally ride. Red tape, bureaucracy, paperwork, long lines, and disgruntled state employees laid across my path. Only with sheer perseverance and a natural stubborn nature would I prevail.

The first steps of the journey are perhaps the most tedious and mundane, but so far have proved to be very eventful and worthy of remembering. The first step was gathering all of the necessary paperwork for our beloved NY DMV. In order to obtain a NY Motorcycle license I first needed a NY state license. I gathered my passport, and NC drivers license to transfer states and after being unable to locate my social security card I first headed to to Social Security Administration at the first signs of daylight. After one failed attempt at locating the recently moved offices and eventually finding the correct building I prepared for what in my experience has been, well a continual head pounding affair. After fifteen minutes I was walking out with a new replacement card in the mail. With a big smile I reminded myself that books, nooks, and crannies are not the optimal place to store important paperwork. After carefully reading over the points required to transfer my state licence and in high spirits over a feat so simply accomplished I headed to the DMV. They had only been open for one hour.

I arrived at the Atlantic Av. Department of vehicles to a line of only thirty or so poor souls. This was the line to get in the door. I was greeted by a strangely smiling gentleman who after I showed him my completed paper work and proof of ID directed me to another line. This line however consisted of roughly one hundred or more poor souls, snaking across the stark tile floors like a river that appears not to flow even inches.

I quickly realized that the NY DMV does everything in one location. Tax, title, registration, permits, licenses, and even traffic court. All in the same place, there is no in and out at this DMV. No they torture you with boredom and the sound of numbers being called off a loud speaker first. N565, M347, A234 on so on.  But on the upside there are no tourists. After forty-five minutes of shuffling along towards the next desk and being berated with numbers I was called forward in order to get my own number and wait even longer.

I handed another strangely smiling young woman my already completed paperwork and forms of ID and for a brief second thought I had this one in the bag. “Ohh sweetie, please tell me you have your social security card?” Of course I thought as my blood pressure rose ever so slightly. “I do have one but it is in the mail and I have a suspicion that won't help me right now” “Unfortunately it will not. You need to come back with your card when you get it” is what she told me with a smile. “Well can I please have a New York State Motorcycle operators manual for my troubles?” “Absolutely sugar, and next time just make reservation online”

So I proceeded out of the DMV after one hour of waiting with a pamphlet that is free and easily accessible online. I smiled and told her it was a pleasure and I look forward to my return. If my end goal was anything other that getting my motorcycle license I would gladly never return.

Have ALL of your paperwork, make a reservation, bring food, water, and a small cot to rest on while you wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment